Sunday, January 20, 2008

5, 6, 8, 12, 19, 23

The first problem with winning the Powerball lottery is figuring out who to tell first. My college buddy? An old girlfriend? My boss? Of course, since the grand prize is $312.5 million, it won’t be long before just about everyone who has ever met me, seen me, heard me, read something I wrote, or received my business card, will become one of my closest and dearest friends. Very soon I’ll start hearing about unique business opportunities. I’ll learn a great deal about the importance of having adequate life insurance. I’ll have to change my phone numbers, and not list the new ones.

It turns out there were twenty other winning tickets! So each ticket is worth only $15.6 million, or about $781,000 per year for twenty years. After taxes that’s about $470,000. The ex gets half, so I’m down to $235,000. It’s hardly worth turning the ticket in.

On the plus side, I’ll be able to pay off my debts, and get the car fixed. It’s time for a new car, anyway. And I’ll be able to get to St. Warm for a long weekend in the sun. I haven’t had a real vacation for years. I’ll bring the kids – they will have a great time. They both like fresh fish, and love to swim.

I can make up for the lame presents I was able to get them last Christmas. They both want computers, and now I can get them the laptops they’ve picked out on-line. Birthdays will be bountiful this year! Better, they will have their college all set.

I hope they don’t get spoiled.

[Postscript: This is a work of fiction. I have never won the lottery. In fact, I don't know anyone who has. Statistically speaking, I never will. This fantasy was intended to play with the idea of winning the lottery; and I hope it was enjoyable.]

No comments: